WHAT IS THE MEDIA LAB?
The Media Lab at Central Madison Public Library ( 1st Floor / 201 W. Mifflin St.) is a free space to explore digital media production in the realms of stop motion animation, 3D world design, green screen video, audio design and graphic design. The Media Lab is for anyone and everyone! We encourage learners of all ages and abilities to come and explore the equipment and expertise we have to offer. Without YOU this program doesn’t have the ability to grow and expand. Children under the age of 12 need to be accompanied by an adult.
- View a list of hardware available in the Media Lab.
- View a list of software available in the Media Lab.
- View a list of the features available on every public internet PC at all 9 Madison libraries.
OPEN LAB TIMES:
Tuesdays 2-8 pm // Thursday 2-8 pm // Saturday 1-4 pm
During Open Lab we encourage individuals and small groups of all levels of experience to learn and create! Come with an idea in mind, or try out the equipment. During this time equipment and experts are available to YOU at no cost. We have an awesome group of library staff and community members who can help you during open lab times with your projects. If you are looking to work with a particular person in the lab, or dive deeper into a particular subject area, you can check out the October Lab Staff list at the bottom of this page, and see their hours on the media lab calendar at this LINK!
OPPORTUNITIES TO DIVE DEEPER:
Community collaboration is at the core of the Bubbler, we would love to help you and your groups make, learn, & create a project!
The forms below will help us with people who are wanting to go a little deeper on projects that are not possible during open lab.
- Community Project Form – This is for groups/organizations who have an idea to make a media project that positively impacts the Madison community. This could be a short film for a nonprofit organization, an after-school video game design club, or anything else you can imagine! Group selection is on a rotating basis, there will be several cycles annually. Selected groups/organizations will be paired with a team of media experts to help them develop their project. The next deadline will be announced in 2018 (Date TBA).
- Personal Project Form – This is for individuals who would like to work on a personal media project that is bigger in scope than can be accomplished during open lab time. We will consider all applications, but may not be able accommodate all requests due to the team's capacity at the time.
- Group Workshop or Tour Form – This is for groups/organizations who want to do a tour of the media lab, have your group schedule a workshop in the lab, or have your group workshop for them out at their location (schools, senior centers, neighborhood centers, etc.).
LAB STAFF & Volunteers:
Below is a list of our lab staff. This will help you If you are looking to work with a particular person in the lab, or dive deeper into a particular subject area. To see lab staff hours click this link to see the calendar!
Nate- Expertise in film production, editing, animation, game design, graphic design, and digital art.
Dusty- Expertise in coding, graphic design, and stop-motion animation
Dani- Expertise in film production and editing
Michael- Expertise in film production and writing
Richard - Expertise in beat making, audio recording, and audio production
Sophie- Expertise in digital art, graphic design, and animation
Bradley DLO- Expertise in beat making and audio recording
Yoon - Expertise in animation, Adobe photoshop, and illustrator
Trent- General Lab Help
Carlee- General Lab Help